What is Data Archiving ?
Data Archiving is a process of moving old unused requests from the active database into a separate storage state on a routine basis. To be precise, It will be just moved from workorder table to arc_workorder table in the database. Similarly its dependencies tables will also be moved.
It is most useful since the application accumulates large volume of closed/resolved requests that may be required for further reference, which, in the long run, hinders the performance of your system.
How do i Search and Run reports for the archived requests ?
These archived requests has separate search options and reports. Archived Requests will not be listed in the active request list, active requests search results, and active request reports.You can always search archived request using the request ID in the search box with the appropriate filter(Archived requests).
We have separate module in reports available for archived requests with the same name. You can find it under Reports-> New Custom Reports-> Select a module-> Archive Requests.
Will there be any Data loss ?
You can be very sure that these tickets will not be lost any point and its just that its stored in a different bucket that will not be accessed quite often and while you access the requests tab, the load(no.of tickets) will be lesser, there by boosting the performance of the application. DATA ARCHIVING is considered to be one of the BEST PRACTICES in terms of application performance which gives a significant boost.
How do i Enable Data Archiving ?
In ServiceDesk Plus – MSP, Data Archiving is found in the Admin tab under General block or under Quick Actions.
- Select the check box Enable Schedule Data Archiving.
- Set the parameters of the requests that needs to be archived.
- The Status of the requests.
- Time of creation/closure of the requests.
- If there are any specific requests that need to be retained in the active requests list, select the check box Allow Exception. Set the rules by choosing the parameters (Column Name,Criteria and Value) from the available drop-down boxes. All requests that satisfy the rules will be held within the active list.
- Select the schedule data and time for the archive process. The archiving process will be executed everyday at the scheduled time.
- Save the settings. [ Screenshot ]